As the May 2017 election date draws nearer and you have been selected by a party as a candidate, or are standing as an Independent candidate, you must make sure you are officially ‘nominated’. You must complete and sign a nomination form and have it signed by a witness. Unlike at parliamentary elections, you do not have to lodge any money as a deposit with the Returning Officer. You can get a nomination form from the elections office of the council you wish to stand for or from the Electoral Commission’s website.


You may find it useful to contact the local authority you’re standing in as they will be able to give you more local details and information about any briefings for candidates and election agents that they might hold.


The Electoral Commission provides a wide range of guidance for candidates and election agents.